Receive the latest news from Paychex and the security industry.
Be Vigilant! Help Fight Cyber Crime This Tax Season
April 5, 2016 - Tax season is prime-time for cyber criminals. Attempting to steal and use your company's sensitive financial and tax information is big business for hackers. As the filing deadline approaches, remember these helpful online security tips:
- Be on the lookout for odd requests. For example, the "CEO of the company" wants copies of employee W-2s, or a "bank or financial institution" demands tax information. Be sure to verify all such requests before replying.
- Phishing messages often come with real logos and appear to be from legitimate businesses. Cyber criminals have become more sophisticated, and their fraudulent messages are more difficult to spot. Don't be fooled.
- Don't divulge personal or corporate information over the Internet. No matter how rushed you feel, think before you click. Criminals are counting on your carelessness.
- Don't download software from the Internet, open email attachments, or click on Internet links that launch websites or web ads, especially if the URLs don't appear to come from a trusted source.
- Secure your computer and mobile devices using an updated operating system, anti-spyware, and the most current anti-virus software.
We strongly recommend that you update your Paychex account to the highest level of security we offer. For Paychex Flex clients, that means one-time passcodes. Although an extra step or two can sometimes seem like a hassle, preventing an online security breach is easier than dealing with one after it happens.
Despite everyone's best efforts, cyber criminals might still gain access to data through third parties. As your trusted partner, Paychex has a dedicated fraud call center, and we may be able to help you or your employees if you are victimized by tax refund fraud. You can contact the Paychex fraud center at 844-779-2935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Part: How Paychex Protects You
We help keep your personal and account information secure by adhering to best practices in:
We help protect against unauthorized access and alteration to customer data through the use of malware detection and prevention, firewalls, and other industry-standard technologies. Paychex encrypts sensitive information transmitted online and uses advanced technologies for information backup and recovery.
Physical and Workplace Safety
We abide by industry best practices, policies, and procedures that cover the security of our workplaces, systems, and records.
Only authorized personnel have access to confidential information. We require our employees to take information security training and implement this into their jobs every day.
Your Part: Keep Your Information Secure
Know what to look for and do when it comes to the safety and security of your information, employees, and your business.
Recognize Potential Risks
We urge you to take all the necessary precautions when handling and protecting your company hardware, data, employees, and facilities.
Keep Login Credentials Confidential
Your user ID, user name, password, picture, and pin code all represent keys that allow you to access your account information on our system. Do not disclose these credentials to others.
Use Logout Features
After viewing your account or performing any transaction online, use the Log Out button when finished, and close your browser completely. This ensures that no one can view your account information after you've logged out.
If you believe an unauthorized party has accessed your account or information, please contact us immediately.
Please contact your Paychex service provider for more information about our security policies and procedures, or to report suspicious activity.